The original 1867 Downey Building housed the Route 66 Palms Grill Café, which served travelers from 1934 - 1960’s. Building facade renovations between 1907 and 1930, and subsequent wind damage, had sufficiently damaged the facade (displacement of 3 to 4 inches out of plumb) to require replacement. Replicating the modified facade for a historically accurate reproduction was the goal in the restoration and reconstruction efforts as the Downey Building appeared in the 1930 and 1940’s. This was accomplished through vintage and current photographs, as well as, detailed field survey measurements of the existing building. Work also included renovations to the building envelope (closing in wall and roof penetrations). Wood windows matching the original profiles replaced closed in or non-period windows. A replica sign has been remounted above the storefront.